Well my mom sent me a book a long time ago and I really wish I would of read it then. It is called Contentment Inspiring Insights for LDS Mothers by Maria Covey Cole. When I started reading it I felt like it was written for me. I just kept reading and reading and kept getting all the answers I have been trying to figure out. I felt so great after reading it and just really refreshed. I wrote some of my favorite quotes that really stood out to me so I can remember them. I put it on my fridge (because sadly that is where I will see it the most:))
Here are some of my favorite things from the book:
- "Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" George Bernard Shaw
- Contentment is a process.
- Allowing Heavenly Father to direct our path
- As daughters of God, when we acknowledge His goodness and mercy in our lives, accept that life is not meant to be easy, and learn that motherhood is, by divine design, difficult and testing, we will truly be content with the things the Lord has allotted to us.
- "There is no role in life more essential and more eternal than that of motherhood" Elder M. Russell Ballard.
- We only have our children in our home for less then half of our married life. The rest is being alone with your husband. (also important to work on)
- "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." -Judy Garland
- Some of the most destructive behaviors women engage in include comparing themselves to and competing with other. Instead we need to support and encourage each other!
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland warned us to beware of "our culture's obsession with comparing, competing, and never feeling we are "enough." This often flows, he pointed out, from our own negative thinking about ourselves. "We see our own faults, we speak-or at least think-critically of ourselves, and before long that is how we see everyone and everything"
- This comparison mentality is not only damaging to our self-esteem; when we allow ourselves to feel inadequate, we are literally undervaluing our divine worth. (this was a aha moment for me)
- There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique and each mother has different challenges, different skills and ability. (another aha moment for me)
- "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great" D&C 64:33 (WOW)
- Instead of finding fault with life and always asking why, we too must be willing to accept our circumstances with attitude of gratitude. (Something I am trying to work on everyday)
- "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all they ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct they paths"
- "Some deprivations are but delayed blessing, which, if endured well, constitute the readying of reservoirs into which a generous God will pour 'all that He hath.' Elder Neal A. Maxwell
- The only way to be happy is to be Obedient.
- "A women who is not at peace with herself , who has never learned who she is or where she is going, who has not mastered herself, and who does not like herself cannot effectively teach her children because of her own distress (discontentment)"
So can you see how this all helped me? This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you Mom for sending me this book. You are a great example to me. I am learning everyday how to become a better person, wife, mother, friend, and sister. I have lots to learn but I know it is a process and I cant do it all at one time. So all I can do is try to do the best I can. Thank you to all those who support me and encourage me.
3 comments:
I think I understand what you have been feeling. Thanks for sharing ideas from that book... I should read it too!
By the way... you always have impressed me with how you always know how to take care of Sara so well!
Nice, uplifting, wish they had more "support the mothers" books when i was younger.
I disagree with this last quote, it still makes me feel terrible...
A women who is not at peace with herself , who has never learned who she is or where she is going, who has not mastered herself, and who does not like herself cannot effectively teach her children because of her own distress (discontentment)"
I feel to be more helpful to those of us broken moms it needs to be
"A woman who is trying to be at peace with herself, who is continuing to learn who she is, one who is working on mastering herself."
If I needed all those things before I had kids, I would never be a mom because I want to be an effective teacher if I'm going to be any teacher at all to my kids.
What do you think?.
Rachel, I agree with you and that is actually what I got out of the quote, that we need to know who we are but we are always learning and I think if we are taking what we learn from our experiences and grow then we can be better moms and teach our kids that also. I should send you that book so you can read the whole thing, I just put my favorites in and not all of them are the whole quotes so maybe thats why it didnt make sense. Sorry. Let me know and I will send it to you!
Post a Comment